poo.pee.tantrums.tears.laughter.going insane.

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Ego Bashing

This morning I had my ego bruised. Someone called me Aunty!

Hello! Aunty! You call people in their 40's with short curly hair Aunty! You don't call women in their 30's Aunty, especially if they have been nice to you!

Here's what happened, I picked up a 20 cents coin and returned it to this school boy, he was about 15 or 16 years old. Full of gratitdue he said "Thank you, Aunty"

I almost wanted to shout at him but I just rolled my eyes, faked a smile and walked away. So much for being nice! I should have kept the 20 cents.

What kind of society do we live in?

Firstly, you don't go around calling everyone Aunty because IT"S not nice! But more importantly they are not related to you!

Secondly "Aunty" should be reserved for matronly, over weight woman who go out in their pyjamas. If you really must use that term, you should restrict it to people who fit the above description.

Finally, I am not an Aunty! The negative conotations attached to this evil word insinuates that I am over the hill, too old to be cool and can only be friends with your mother is just plain RUDE.

I do not see it as a sign of affection or respect, infact I see it as derogatoty and offensive. The next time someone calls me "AUNTY" you can bet your last dollar I am going to give this person a piece of my mind.

Unless that person is less than 10 years old.......

No comments: