poo.pee.tantrums.tears.laughter.going insane.

Wednesday, January 02, 2008

No more cry baby

Today my baby started school. She took her first steps on a 20 year journey of formal education. A journey to be educated academically and hopefully gain knowledge and wisdom along the way.

As she embarks on this journey I will be with her each step of the way. Holding her hands and guiding her through. I do not wish for her to be First in class. I do not require her to score the highest marks. I want her to enjoy her journey. I want it to to be filled with things that she loves and enjoys. I will do everything within my means to ensure that she will never ever find school a chore. There will be days when she will be made to learn things she does not like or there will be times when she will not fully comprehend what is being taught to her. She will feel discouraged, she will feel bored, she may even be uninterested. It's OK and there is nothing wrong with being bored or uninterested because only will she realise what she is passionate about. At the end of the day, it's people you care about and love that matters most. More importantly its the good that you do in life that will carry you through. All the things that you accumulate or money that you make will never define you as a person.

In my eyes she is already a winner. She did not shed a tear today even when others in her class were screaming the roof down. She was composed, confident, self assured and polite. She played by herself when the teachers were too busy attending to other children. Today I felt like a really proud parent. Proud that all the time, effort and sacrifices that I made has reaped its rewards in the form of a well adjusted, polite and confident child. I hope that as she grows as an individual, I will be a strong enough influence on her so that she can develop spiritually, emotionally, physically, mentally and socially into a well rounded person.

So here is to a great first in school and many more to come!

No comments: