poo.pee.tantrums.tears.laughter.going insane.

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Fulfilling???


I have always wondered what people meant when they said parenthood is very fulfilling. You see I find it a struggle everyday. From the time I roll my sleepy butt out of bed till I crawl into bed everyday.

I struggle with milk feeds (Letitia is not a big fan of milk), I struggle with baths (trying to get her in and out of the bathroom without her kicking up a fuss is a miracle), I struggle with naps, i struggle with bed time, I struggle when I have to eat out (She has decided that sitting down at a table is not for her), I struggle with issues of discipline, I struggle with the fact that I am responsible for this little being and what she will turn out to be in the future.

I gave it some thought and i finally came to this conclusion that people who say parenthood is very fulfilling fall into into following categories.

The first bunch of people have loads of support, they have live in domestic helpers that cook, clean, wash, mop and tend your child while you take a bath. They have mother in laws who come over everyday and take the child off their hands even if it is for a couple hours. This could translate to the so badly needed manicure or the hair cut that is 6 months over due.

The second bunch of people are weekend parents. They escape the daily chores of raising a child be sending them off to daycare or a nanny. They happily pick them up at the end of work day and send them off to bed. Every weekend they wished they were at work because dealing with a tantrum throwing toddler is worse than facing that back stabbing colleague.

The finally the third group of people, ah the idealistic types. They believe that they sole purpose on earth is to have children. They thrive on the fact that they can and will go on reproducing till they day can no longer do so.

So to all the folks out there that have been asking me when I am going to have another child. I am sorry to tell you that I belong to neither of the above categories. I think one is all that I can handle at least for the time being.

As Dave so nicely and adequately put it " Children like Letitia are the cause of low birth rates......" you would be terrified to if you had Letitia.

Oh Baby, Mummy still loves you, it just that you are not going have any brothers or sisters.

No comments: